You are here
Our sports medicine doctor at Litchfield Hills Orthopedic Associates, located in Torrington and Bristol, is a recognized expert in the field and has the specialized knowledge and training to assess, diagnose, and treat a full range of sports-related injuries and conditions.
Sports medicine, or sports and exercise medicine, is an area of specialized medicine exclusive to the study, diagnosis, and treatment of sports- and exercise-related injuries and conditions by physicians or surgeons. A sports medicine doctor is often referred to as a sports medicine physician; however, there are some providers who will undergo additional training to become a fellowship-trained sports medicine surgeon and specialize in nonsurgical and surgical treatments for sports injuries.
There are several ailments a doctor can assess, diagnose, and treat, and they include:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears, or an injury to a stabilizing ligament
- Bursitis, or painful inflammation within or around the ankle joint
- Concussions, or an injury to the brain as a result of a blunt-force trauma to the head
- Dislocation, or the slip of one of the bones
- Fractures, or a break in the bone
- Labral tear, or overuse or tear of the labrum
- Meniscus injuries, or damage to the cartilage in the knee
- Patellar (kneecap) fractures, or a break in the kneecap
- Plantar fasciitis, or a form of tendonitis (medically referred to as tendinitis)
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears, or an injury to a stabilizing ligament
- Rotator cuff injuries, or an injury to the muscles and tendons
- Sprains and strains, or when muscle fibers are abnormally stretched or torn
- Stress fractures, or a small crack or severe bruising within the bone
- Tendon and ligament injuries
- Trauma, or an unexpected injury
When to Choose a Sports Medicine Physician Near You
Suffering from lingering symptoms of a sports-related ailment can lead to a prolonged or progressive condition or injury. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it is recommended that you contact a medical physician near you to begin treating your ailment::
- Discoloration or change in appearance
- Inability to walk or participate in daily activities without pain
- Loss of function or feeling
- Severe pain or swelling that does not improve with rest or elevation
If you're experiencing pain or discomfort from a sports-related injury, start your journey to recovery by scheduling an appointment with our expertly trained orthopedic sports medicine physician. For consultation at our Torrington Office or our Bristol Office, simply request an appointment online today or call (860) 482-8539.
The Sports Medicine Expert at
Litchfield Hills Orthopedic Associates in Torrington and Bristol
Our fellowship-trained sports medicine surgeon, Dr. Leigh Brezenoff, is experienced and skilled in providing expert care for athletes, athletic weekend warriors, and our sports medicine patients. Though many sports-related conditions can be treated conservatively without surgery through the use of anti-inflammatory medication, injections, or physical therapy, there are injuries or conditions that may require surgery. If surgery is necessary for you, Dr. Brezenoff has the advanced training and expertise to perform several advanced surgical procedures and minimally invasive techniques, including:
- ACL reconstruction
- Cartilage preservation procedures
- Meniscus repair
At Litchfield Hills Orthopedic Associates, our sports medicine doctor and staff understand the first step towards reducing your pain and restoring your health is a proper diagnosis to determine the specific cause of your pain. To schedule a consultation with our specialty-trained sports medicine specialist to discuss your condition and treatment options, you may request an appointment online or call (860) 482-8539 and be seen in Torrington or Bristol.