You are here
Our elbow doctor is a recognized expert in the field and has the specialized knowledge and training to assess, diagnose, and treat a full range of elbow injuries and conditions.
The elbow, or cubital joint, is a hinge joint and engages movement of the hand toward and away from the body. Often times, pain within the elbow may be the result of an overuse activity, such as throwing a ball or swinging a golf club; though, elbow injuries can also occur as a result of a fall or sports-related activity. Common elbow injuries and conditions treated by medical doctors or surgeons include:
- Arthritis, or pain and stiffness within the elbow joint
- Cartilage or nerve injuries, or an injury to the nerves or cartilage within the elbow
- Cubital tunnel syndrome, or a condition with pressure or stretching on the ulnar nerve
- Fractures, or a break in the bone
- Sprains or strains, or when muscle fibers within the back are abnormally stretched or torn
- Tendon, ligament, or tissue injuries
- Tennis elbow, or irritation within the tissue
When to Choose an Elbow Doctor Near You
Suffering from lingering symptoms of elbow pain can lead to a prolonged or progressive condition or injury. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, it is recommended that you contact an elbow specialist or surgeon near you for treatment:
- Discoloration or change in appearance
- Experiencing pain that spreads throughout the arm or into the shoulder
- Inability to participate in daily activities without pain
- Loss of function or feeling
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness
- Severe pain that does not improve with rest
The Elbow Expert at Litchfield Hills Orthopedic Associates
Our fellowship-trained elbow surgeon, Dr. Douglas Wisch, is experienced and skilled in providing expert care for our upper extremity patients. Though many issues can be treated conservatively without surgery through the use of anti-inflammatory medication, injections, or physical therapy, there are disorders that may require elbow surgery. If surgery is necessary for you, Dr. Wisch has the advanced training and expertise in elbow surgery to perform several advanced surgical procedures and minimally invasive techniques for the hand, elbow, and wrist including elbow arthroscopy.
At Litchfield Hills Orthopedic Associates, our expert doctors and staff understand the first step towards reducing your elbow pain and restoring your health is a proper diagnosis to determine the specific cause of your pain. To schedule a consultation with our elbow specialist to discuss your condition and treatment options, you may request an appointment online or call (860) 482-8539 and be seen in Torrington or Bristol.